TCSC Activities: “Learning, mixing, racing.”
TCSC members participate in a variety of activities with the purposes of becoming better sailors and having fun in the process! Additional information about dates and times for the following club activities are made available via the club’s weekly email newsletter and online discussion forum (available to members only)!
- Club Orientation & New Member Welcome Clinics (Spring) – New and returning members meet up in the classroom to learn more about the club – and share some sailing tips.
- Fleet Launch (early May) – Members gather to haul the fleet from winter storage and launch the boats onto the water! This is a great opportunity to learn more about rigging the various boats in TCSC’s fleet.
- Skipper Week (May) – Returning skippers can meet up at the dock every night of the week during ‘Skipper Week’ (the week following the fleet launch) to get their sea legs back and practice their skills before new members join them a week later.
- Skipper Nights (every Thursday evening) – Skippers only night on the lake, to hone our sailing skills and help build confidence in teaching others how to sail.
- ALL CLUB SAILING (May to early October) – Tuesday evenings and Saturday mornings all Summer long. Members meet at the dock; experienced members are matched in boats with less-experienced members and we set sail!
- Lake Superior Charter (September) – Members charter keel boats out of Bayfield, Wisconsin, and experience a weekend of Great Lakes sailing!
- Fleet Pull (early October) – Members gather to pull the boats off the lake and return the fleet to winter storage.
- Kick-Off Party (Spring) – As the winter draws to a close and the fleet launch approaches, members gather to renew acquaintances and have as much fun as is possible on dry land!
- Club Mixers/Parties (all Summer long!) – Once a month, a different club member opens his or her house and welcomes club members to a mixer!
- End-of-Season Banquet (Autumn) – Awards and merriment at an off-lake establishment. All members are welcome!
- Off-Water Racing Clinics (Winter and Spring) – While it’s still too cold to sail, racers are meeting up to talk strategies, tactics, and rules – all in preparation for the upcoming racing season. Courses from both TCSC and Lake Harriet Yacht Club are made available to all TCSC members.
- On-Water Racing Clinics (Spring) – In preparation for the upcoming Championship sailing season, TCSC racers hone their skills in various drills and on-the-water racing scenarios.
- Racing and Regattas (May to September – all Summer long!) – TCSC is a member of Lake Harriet Yacht Club, which allows TCSC members to participate in LHYC’s races all season!
- SCUM Challenge (Late Summer) – This fun, yet skill-testing obstacle course available to all TCSC members is a tip of the cap to TCSC’s origins as part of the Sailing Club at the University of Minnesota